Translate

Sunday, April 12, 2015

The visual punchline

These three 4-page shorties all appeared originally in Atlas’ Spellbound #13 (1953). I scanned them from the reprint comic, Vault of Evil #10 (1974). While published in a horror comic, these are clearly not typical horror. They are more like vignettes, story fragments, setting up punchlines. I don’t call them shock or surprise endings, because with the exception of “The Death of a Puppet,” drawn by Jim Mooney, the stories seem jokey. Stan Lee’s contribution, “The Pitchman,” about a con man selling the Brooklyn Bridge, sounds like an urban legend (and makes me wonder if I have seen it before, in another form). It is drawn by Bob Brown. “Let’s Face It” has a punchline based on the story’s title. The GCD guesses the pencils are by Joe Orlando, and the inks by Jack Abel.












Here’s another story set up to have a visual punchline, from a Harvey pre-Code horror comic. We travel back to 2007 for this one.





3 comments:

J_D_La_Rue_67 said...

Those are like Rod Serling's "Night Gallery": cute little stingers. First one is the best, great art and a small "philosophical" jewel.
By the way, we're facing a big crisis 'round here, so our precious leaders are putting up some nice garage sales. Anyone interested in the Trevi Fountain?

Mr. Cavin said...

I would love to own a Trevi Fountain, but the one I looked at recently was totally broke down.

Thanks for all Atlas the Sunday Surprise, Pappy! I love this stuff!

Pappy said...

Surprise to me, too, Cavin!