Translate

Monday, July 04, 2011


Number 976


Cosmo the Merry Martian #3



In answer to some requests, here is issue #3 of the short-lived Archie Comics series, Cosmo the Merry Martian, published in 1958 and '59. It was drawn (and written?) by the late Bob White.

Cosmo was a funny, well-illustrated comic book, and it's too bad it only ran for six issues. I've noticed that over the years, even though Archie Comics published titles outside of its core Archie grouping, with some exceptions most of those other comics just don't have the permanence of Archie. I've never known if it was because the comics didn't sell, or because the company's heart wasn't in anything but its bread-and-butter.

I posted Cosmo #1 in Pappy's #794, and #2 in Pappy's #907.





























Zoom ahead to Cosmo the Merry Martian #4. Just click on the thumbnail:



6 comments:

Chuck Wells said...

Never seen this stuff before, so, thanks!

Pappy said...

Chuck, you are a true comics fan. You comment on all varieties of comics I like to show. I really appreciate that. If I were to give an award to a guy who gets it (whatever it is I'm attempting to do with this blog), something like the Pappy Reader Appreciation Award, you'd be the first recipient. I'd like everyone reading this to visit Chuck's entertaining blog, Comic Book Catacombs. Thanks Chuck!

diana green said...

Love this book. I have a complete set, and read issues one and three when I was quite young. But these scans are much sharper than my copies. Thanks! Archie snuck some VERY odd stuff into comics in the late 50s and early 60s- Jughead's Fantasy comes to mind...
Anyway, I wouldn't mind seeing the rest of the run here, even though I can always read my copies. We do love sharing....

Pappy said...

Diana, I'm sure I have a copy of at least one issue of Jughead's Fantasy around somewhere, but I can't seem to remember where...ah, this getting older is hard on the memory cells, y'know? Pappy's Fantasy is to have instant recall of where everything is, and procurable at a moment's notice when I want it.

I liked Jughead's Fantasy when it came out, along with early issues of Life With Archie, Archie's Madhouse, Bats, and my all-time favorite Archie comic, Little Archie by Bob Bolling. Still, I have a soft spot in my head...er, heart for Cosmo the Merry Martian. My brother and I thought it was pretty good and we both wondered why we didn't see it after #6.

Michael Laperle said...

a big thank you pappy I really love this comic! I am publisher of comics in France and you are one of my inspirations. A big thank you

Pappy said...

Michael, I wondered who was reading this blog in France. Thank you for your comment, and good luck with your publishing business.