Translate

Sunday, September 12, 2010



Number 806


A double dose of Dennis


Two stories by Fred Toole and Al Wiseman remind us again how good the Dennis The Menace comic book was. The first story, "Big Deal" is from DTM #4, 1954, and the second, "Something Fishy," comes from Dennis The Menace Giant #2, 1956. My scans are taken from my copy of The Best of Dennis The Menace #3, 1960. "Fishy" must've been a popular story with the editors, because it was reprinted twice in four years.

"Big Deal" is a pre-Comics Code story, and I don't recall ever seeing cheesecake in the post-Code issues. I don't know if this story was reprinted or not. Grand Comics Database doesn't index this issue, nor do I find the story title listed for subsequent reprints. I suppose that showing legs, a little cleavage, Dennis' hot mom, Alice, in a swimsuit, and Dennis' dad as a horndog, may not have fit into the editorial plans of the post-Code years.















4 comments:

Unca Jeffy said...

Dennis comic books are meaty, well drawn, well crafted stories that I don't believe get their due.

PREACH ON, Pappy!!!!

Pappy said...

I'm with you, Jeff. You're a wise man if you enjoy Wiseman!

As for preachin', I'm testifyin', brother, I'm testifyin'...

Prof. Grewbeard said...

that's funny, Something Fishy is the first thing you've posted that i'd actually seen before! nice to see it again...

Pappy said...

Prof, in 806 postings this is the first thing you've seen before? I must be more esoteric than I thought!

"Something Fishy" is classic Dennis fantasy.